Anything network wiring & communication, AESOP, etc, goes here...
#99 by audiopyle
February 18th, 2010, 5:45 pm
In the absence of the KAESOP card, do the RJ45 connectors on the front of the K amps serve any purpose? Is a hub required in order to control several of the K series amps via RS485? Does the hub that Powersoft sells convert directly from USB to serial control, or must an additional converter be used?
#100 by ThomasM
February 18th, 2010, 6:24 pm
Sorry, but other than trying to look good, without KAESOP the front RJ45's don't serve any purpose... :D They are dummies, coming to life only once the KAESOP board gives them reason to exist.

Yes, a hub is required to talk to more than one amp via RS485. Our hub is serial all the way through, a USB-serial converter is still required.

The rest will depend on what you're up to. If you need emergency fault monitoring for the amp part, or - with a DSP inside - a preset change from time to time, then RS485 will do, I guess, simply because it's in the nature of the game that serial communication is pretty slow, especially with "several" amps.
The KAESOP Ethernet board will feel like rocket speed then. For serious work (as opposed to serial? :twisted:) and real-time communication it's a must.

Greetings,
Thomas
#103 by calzinhos
February 19th, 2010, 3:13 pm
You can also use a split cable to wired 2 amps BUT you can't control the "turn on" and "turn off" of that amps becouse the split cable is a passive sistem to connect the rs485!
#104 by ThomasM
February 19th, 2010, 3:21 pm
calzinhos wrote:... you can't control the "turn on" and "turn off" ...

Yup, guess that's what I meant with "talk to more than one amp". Thanks for the heads-up!
#149 by ddff_lv
March 15th, 2010, 10:11 am
calzinhos wrote:You can also use a split cable to wired 2 amps BUT you can't control the "turn on" and "turn off" of that amps becouse the split cable is a passive sistem to connect the rs485!

And why would it be that way? Serial protocol uses addressed messages and every amp has address to respond to. We have a Lantronics unit with 4 amps connected on RS 485 side in parralel - as far as configuration goes, we're able to do individual parameteres to individual amps thru this arrangement. Therefore we should be able to turn on/off individual amps, haven't tried yet.

ddff
#152 by ThomasM
March 15th, 2010, 11:46 am
ddff_lv wrote:
calzinhos wrote:You can also use a split cable to wired 2 amps BUT you can't control the "turn on" and "turn off" of that amps becouse the split cable is a passive sistem to connect the rs485!

And why would it be that way? Serial protocol uses addressed messages and every amp has address to respond to. We have a Lantronics unit with 4 amps connected on RS 485 side in parralel - as far as configuration goes, we're able to do individual parameteres to individual amps thru this arrangement. Therefore we should be able to turn on/off individual amps, haven't tried yet.

ddff

Well, it's that way because to be able to turn an amp back on remotely via RS485 you'll need an "external voltage" which keeps the 'brain' of the amp awake while the rest is asleep.

Most if not all of everything else should be accessible. Just don't turn that far away amp off, otherwise you'll be walking if you want it back on... ;)
#153 by ddff_lv
March 15th, 2010, 6:54 pm
Aha, I see - there is no 'housekeeper' PSU inside. Yes, in this case we have to use HUB.

ddff
#154 by ThomasM
March 15th, 2010, 10:45 pm
... or another appropriate external PSU - if you're OK with a little bit of DIY ...

Cheers,
Thomas
#155 by ddff_lv
March 16th, 2010, 9:41 am
Let's have things nice and clear- do we need to have constant DC volts to appropriate RJ45 pins to keep alive some part of amp during off mode or we have to apply DC volts to certain amp for some period to get that amp waking up? If this is just DC supply, then it's simplier than simple. I just want to have a good description or pinout of RJ45 receptable.

ddff
#157 by ThomasM
March 16th, 2010, 3:34 pm
ddff_lv wrote:Let's have things nice and clear- do we need to have constant DC volts to appropriate RJ45 pins to keep alive some part of amp during off mode or we have to apply DC volts to certain amp for some period to get that amp waking up?

Nice and clear is always good!

Yes, to keep the amps alive (and e.g. remotely on/off switchable) you'll need to provide a continuous DC source in the range of 10-12V with appr. 1A per amp.

ddff_lv wrote:If this is just DC supply, then it's simplier than simple. I just want to have a good description or pinout of RJ45 receptable.

ddff

You'd find that in most if not all relevant amp user's manuals, as well in this specific doc downloadable from the website or directly by clicking here: http://www.powersoft-audio.com/download ... p?obj=1062

In any case, "Vext" refers to this external voltage, and "GND" is ground, obviously.

Hope it helps; let us know how it's going,
Thomas
#158 by ddff_lv
March 16th, 2010, 4:29 pm
Thank you for this valuable piece of information. Will be used for good purposes.

ddff
#193 by impulse-sound.com
April 6th, 2010, 1:08 am
Hi guys,

I made a DIY system, (Luca can confirm this, he even made a picture!).
Each 4 amps, are connected together with RJ45 plugs, with 4x core wire, making a full loop from begin till end.
(From begin->Amp1->Amp2->Amp3->Amp4->begin)
What I made also, is a PSU, with 4x RJ45 Ethercon's, and XLR 3-pin for the RS485. This PSU can do up to 16 amps easily.